Greater Twin Cities Youth Symphonies – Rehearsal Assistant Job Description
Open Position: Concert Orchestra
Position: Rehearsal Assistant
Reports to: Conductor, Operations Manager
Category: Part-time, weekly Mondays plus concerts and special events
October 2019 – May 2020
Salary: $12 – $15/hour, depending on experience
The Rehearsal Assistant functions as the hands-on assistant to the conductor, arranging logistical needs of the orchestra and maintaining student engagement so that the conductor may focus solely on the musical aspect of rehearsals. The Rehearsal Assistant is the primary point of contact between students, parents and the GTCYS staff.
Orchestra Management and Communication
- Proactively maintain student discipline by engaging in the rehearsal and anticipating the conductor’s needs
- Facilitate a healthy physical, emotional, and musical learning environment for young musicians
- Make weekly announcements, distribute handouts, and answer parent questions at rehearsals
- Distribute, collect, and organize music as directed by Librarian
- Maintain prompt email communication with Operations Manager and office staff
- Uphold GTCYS’ child protection policy and carry out emergency safety procedures when necessary (GTCYS will provide training in these areas)
- Track attendance and inform conductor of all anticipated absences before rehearsal
Set Up for Orchestra Activities
- Attend all orchestra activities, including weekly rehearsals, weekend retreats, and concerts as outlined in the respective Orchestra Schedule, arriving at least one hour in advance of the orchestra’s call time and staying until the last student has departed.
- Set up and take down orchestra chairs and equipment and post signs for all rehearsals and sectionals
- Serve as point person for social activities and parent meetings which take place in conjunction with rehearsals each semester; manage early set-up of tables and chairs, post signs, direct parent volunteers, receive food deliveries, and assist with clean-up, etc.
- As needed, move percussion in and out of storage for rehearsals and help load/unload GTCYS truck at concerts
- Musical proficiency on an orchestral instrument
- Understanding of the physical, emotional, and musical needs of young learners
- Experience and comfort level working with students, and desire to serve as a compassionate and outgoing role model for young musicians
- Music education background, with a preference for experience working with large groups and young musicians
- Ability to take initiative and engage in tasks without being prompted to do so
- Ability to work well with parents and fellow staff
- Detail oriented, with good communication skills
- Physical ability to move equipment
- Must possess personal transportation and a smart phone
- Bilingual skills a plus
Email a cover letter, resume, and names of three references with permission to contact to GTCYS Program Director Miranda Bryan at email@example.com. This position is an immediate opening; interviews will be scheduled as applications are received, and the first day of work will be a mutually agreed upon date in October or November.
GTCYS is dedicated to building a culturally diverse and equitable environment. We strongly encourage applications from people of color and from populations underrepresented in the orchestral field.
Volunteers provide vital assistance by helping with administrative duties, program activities, concert events, special events, and fundraising. If you’re interested in volunteering, please contact Katie Heilman at firstname.lastname@example.org, or fill out the volunteer interest form if you have a specific skill you wish to contribute!