Greater Twin Cities Youth Symphonies
Position: Harmony Rehearsal Assistant
Reports to: Community Engagement Coordinator
Category: Part-time, January – May 2018; Tuesday, Wednesdays, and Thursdays from 2:30pm – 5:15pm plus occasional evening/weekend activities
ABOUT THE PROGRAM
Launched in fall 2016, Harmony is one of the Greater Twin Cities Youth Symphonies’ (GTCYS) educational programs and is designed to create opportunities for new students and break down barriers for music instruction. After expanding this year, Harmony now serves 40 third and fourth graders at Riverview West Side School of Excellence (St. Paul). Participants develop artistic and life skills through this highly accessible after school music program which includes: group violin instruction, semi-private lessons, and music enrichment sessions with professional teaching artists three days a week; instruments and transportation; performance opportunities and concert outings; mentoring by other GTCYS musicians.
ABOUT THE ROLE
Starting in January 2018, this new rehearsal assistant (RA) position will provide hands-on help at Harmony activities. Managing the daily set-up and distribution of program information, and assisting with students’ needs will help ensure smooth logistics and allow teaching artists to focus on musical aspects of rehearsals. The RA’s presence is required on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays from 2:30pm – 5:15pm (January – mid-May 2018), plus occasional evenings and weekends for performances and student conferences. While primarily an on-site position, the RA will be required to check emails weekly and communicate with other staff as needed.
- Attend all Harmony activities, including daily sessions
- Attend and assist with special events, including Harmony performances, parent/teacher conferences, and field trips
- Set up and take down chairs stands for group rehearsals and semi-private lessons, and other Harmony events
- Assist Community Engagement Coordinator and Teaching Artists with student evaluations, instruments, student behavior, information distribution, bus departures, and communications with Harmony families
- Maintain weekly communication with Harmony personnel (check emails each Tuesday)
- Interact with school personnel on site as needed
- Assist students and teaching artists with instrument needs (tuning, etc.)
- Music education background required, preferably a violinist
- Experience and comfort level working with young students, and desire to serve as a positive role model for young musicians
- Self-starter with ability to take initiative, anticipate needs, pay attention to details, and work with minimal supervision
- Ability to work well and communicate with others
- Physical ability to move equipment (chairs, music stands, instruments)
- Personal transportation and working cell phone
- Proficiency in Spanish a plus
Email a cover letter, resume, and names of three references to GTCYS executive director Megen Balda at firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be reviewed upon receipt and interviews will take place promptly in order to fill the position for a January start date.
GTCYS is dedicated to building a culturally diverse and equitable environment. We strongly encourage applications from people of color and from populations underrepresented in the orchestra field.
Volunteers provide vital assistance by helping with administrative duties, program activities, concert events, special events, and fundraising. If you’re interested in volunteering, please contact Katie Heilman at email@example.com.