Reports to: Development Manager
Category: Part-time, unpaid internship
Dates/Hours: February – May; flexible 8-10 hours per week
GTCYS is seeking a Development Intern for the spring semester. This is an opportunity for a college student interested in gaining hands-on professional experience in arts administration, fundraising, and non-profit work. This unpaid position is responsible for assisting GTCYS’ Development Manager with projects and details related to donor cultivation, stewardship, and special events. The schedule is flexible with a goal of 8-10 hours per week (over 2-3 days/week), February – May.
- Assist with coordination of annual spring benefit and cultivation events
- Assist with planning and set-up of annual online auction
- Help with stewardship activities, including donor thank-you letters
- Assist with data entry
- Prospect research
- Help prepare annual fund communications
- Participate in GTCYS development committee and staff meetings
- Attend special events as needed
- Other duties as assigned
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Participating in an undergraduate program
- Access to transportation to and from GTCYS office in downtown Saint Paul and select events around the Twin Cities
Desired Qualifications and Skills
- College level coursework in non-profit or communications
- Interest in arts administration and/or fundraising and development
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills
- High attention to detail and accuracy
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word and Excel
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
To Apply: email a cover letter and resume to: email@example.com. Position is open until filled.
Communications & Marketing Manager
Reports to: Executive Director
Category: Full time
Salary: Commensurate with experience, plus benefits
The Greater Twin Cities Youth Symphonies (GTCYS) transforms students of all ages, abilities, and backgrounds by breaking down barriers to music instruction and providing exceptional year-round orchestral experiences. As one of the country’s largest youth orchestra programs, GTCYS serves more than 1,000 students ages 8-18 through nine academic-year orchestras, two summer programs, and Harmony violin instruction program. GTCYS’ young musicians share 30concerts and inspire 17,000 community members through our educational activities and performances each year. Committed to making our programs accessible, GTCYS will award $85,000 in need-based scholarships for tuition and lessons this year. With a new strategic vision in place, we have ambitious goals to become even more accessible in the community. Learn more at www.gtcys.org.
The Communications & Marketing Manager is a new full-time position responsible for using compelling storytelling to increase GTCYS’ visibility, student enrollment, concert audiences, and fundraising. Primary responsibilities include creating engaging stories, marketing materials, digital and graphic content, advertisements, and communications to support GTCYS’ events and strategic initiatives.
This role reports to the Executive Director and will also collaborate with the rest of GTCYS’ team to support communications needs across the organization. Candidates with local experience and connections in the Twin Cities community are preferred.
- Develop and execute communications strategies and calendar.
- Create compelling content, including digital and print marketing materials, e-newsletters, social media posts, videos, recordings, web content, concert descriptions, and advertisements to reach varied audiences across multiple platforms.
- Develop, execute, and analyze promotional activities to increase engagement around GTCYS’ concerts, programs, and news.
- Manage day-to-day social media activities; create and publish content for Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, LinkedIn, and emerging channels.
- Develop and coordinate advertising initiatives and concert ticket strategies, and identify new opportunities to expand revenue streams.
- Manage relationships with vendors and other external partners.
- Build community connections to generate news stories.
- Collaborate across GTCYS’ staff to support communications needs and ensure consistent use of GTCYS’ branding and key messages.
- Deliver results within time, scope, and budget.
- Participate in key GTCYS activities and events to capture stories and photos (some evenings and weekends required).
- Robust creative writing skills for compelling storytelling across various media platforms
- Strong understanding of digital engagement and experience managing social media calendars, creating campaigns, and developing content on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and LinkedIn
- Eye for strong visual design, and experience with photography and videography
- Superb organization skills, attention to detail, and deadline-driven
- Ability to generate creative ideas, self-motivate, and prioritize tasks in a fast-paced environment
- 2-4 years of relevant experience in marketing, communications, or advertising
- Technical skills:
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office applications
- Ability to design for print and web
- Proficiency with Adobe Creative Suite, MailChimp, WordPress, and HTML
- Video creation and editing experience
- Working knowledge of website analytics tools and engagement tactics
- Musical knowledge and desire to work with a youth arts organization
- Bi-lingual in Spanish a plus
GTCYS is committed to building an inclusive, culturally diverse, and equitable environment. We encourage qualified applicants to apply, including applicants of color and others with experience working with underrepresented communities.
Combine the following documents into a single pdf and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org. Position open until filled.
- Cover letter describing how your experience and skills align with this role
- Up to three work samples that demonstrate your ability as an ideal candidate
- Three professional references
Volunteers provide vital assistance by helping with administrative duties, program activities, concert events, special events, and fundraising. If you’re interested in volunteering, please contact Katie Heilman at email@example.com.