Student musicians of all levels are challenged to new heights by phenomenal conductors while making friends and building confidence in a fun environment.
Whether you’re a first-time orchestra musician or an advanced player, there’s a place for you in one of GTCYS’ three Summer Orchestras! The Summer Philharmonic and Summer Symphony inspire younger and more advanced string, woodwind, brass, and percussion students, and the Summer Chamber Symphony offers higher level string students an opportunity to excel in a more intimate orchestra. Students will be challenged to new heights by phenomenal conductors while making friends and building confidence in a fun summer environment.
- Open to 3rd – 12th graders who play an orchestral instrument and can read music – no audition!
- Orchestra placement is determined by students’ musical ability (from registration form questions) and GTCYS’ instrumentation needs
- Work with GTCYS conductors Dan Mollick, Kent Musser, and Gary Wolfman
- Rehearse in beautiful facilities, including Ted Mann Concert Hall
- Perform at scenic Como Park – free and open to the public!
- Rehearsals: Tuesday evenings, May 29 – July 10, 7:00 – 8:45pm – View and subscribe to Summer Orchestras’ schedule »
- Rehearsal Location: University of Minnesota’s School of Music, Ferguson Hall and Ted Mann Concert Hall, 2106 4th Street S, Minneapolis, MN
- Concert: Tuesday, July 17 at 7:00pm at Como Lakeside Pavilion, St. Paul
- Attendance: Up to two rehearsal absences allowed – report an absence here
- $255 tuition plus $20 registration fee
- Early bird discount: register before April 23 and tuition is just $235!
- Scholarships available
Registration for the 2018 Summer Orchestras is now closed.
What students like about Summer Orchestras:
- “Being able to play a variety of types of music.”
- “Meeting new people and nice relaxing summer orchestra experience.”
- “The conductors helped me improve a lot!”
- “It was really fun to get to practice in Ted Mann Concert Hall.”
- “I love to perform at Como Lakeside Pavilion.”